Friday, February 20, 2009

Two classics

After recording last night, I sat down for disc three of Ken Burns' Jazz, the part which features Louis Armstrong's newfound independence, the rise of Bix Beiderbecke, some classic female blues singers, and Ellington's beginnings. Thusly, I ended up listening to these two songs over and over before going to bed. Both insanely beautiful ways to spend three minutes.

"Singin the Blues" by Frankie Trumbauer and his Orchestra (I believe).

I think I'm going to sit down some day and transcribe Eddie Lang's single-note parts. (I'm not sure it's clear enough to catch the chorded parts.)

And "West End Blues" by Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five. All copies of the original 78 seem to have been removed from YouTube, so here's a live version from the 50s. (But with a transcription!)

No comments:

Post a Comment